Monday, April 4, 2011

What a Host is and Isn't

First of all, a host is other-centered. The host is concerned that strangers feel welcome. An outsider feels like an outsider until we bring them inside. The first way we do this is by letting them know we are glad they came. This is the first obstacle for preChristians. The way we talk, the assumptions we make, and our actions can push people away. If my conversation is laced with prejudicial remarks about preChristians, about how difficult my life is because of unbelievers, and sweeping comments about the beliefs and actions of nonChristians, then a stranger is not going to feel comfortable around me. They will not feel welcome.

Many Christians today mix their faith in God with other parts of their lives, giving them equal value. You may be a Republican or Tea Party member or a Democrat. That's fine. You should be involved, but when we equate political affiliation with the will of God, we do two things. First, we sin because equating that political movement with the Word of God is idolatry. Second, we alienate people based on something other than Christ. The gatekeeper judges people on secondary issues, using these issues to erect a barrier between them and Jesus. This reflects the self-righteousness of the Pharisees and needs to be avoided as the sin it is.

A host connects people. It is difficult to be the stranger, to not know anyone in the room, to be ignored. The host does not need to do all the relating. Instead, he or she puts people together, introduces the outsider to others, and helps start the conversation. I am always watching for the people at the edges. I need to go to them and help them enter enter the group.

A host doesn't wait for someone else to make the first move. I have no problem that churches give badges to a small group of people and calls them greeters. I do have a problem if we think that fills the need. We are all hosts. We are to be witnesses to Jesus and his character, and Jesus was the ultimate host.

This makes a huge difference to students. They don't want to be the fish out of water, and they don't like to feel overexposed. If they do, don't expect to see them again.

As a host, you want people to feel welcome, I want to help them connect with others, I want to help them navigate expectations so that they will not be embarrassed, and I want to be myself. I am to adjust to my surroundings (be all things to all people), but I should not apologize for my faith or for Jesus being the focus of Christian instruction. Being a host doesn't change my goals.

This is important. As a host, I am helping other people fit in; I am helping them become comfortable; but I am not trying to win their approval by trying to match their expectations. I am not trying to diminish the call of Christ or pretend that Jesus asks for just a subtle course correction for our life. I meet people where they live, understand them where they are, and welcome them with open arms because God loves them (Jesus met us where we live, understands us, and welcomes us) and in the hope that Jesus can use my life and service to bring them into new life.

I am not just a host for an event that I have to put on. I am a host for Jesus. If I am a host for a party I did not throw, then part of my task is to make sure that everyone who comes through the door meets the master of the ball, the one who threw the party. As a host, I don't want to meet people's expectation. I want to exceed them. I want them to meet Jesus. I don't want to get so wrapped up in the job of host that I forget why the event is taking place in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment