Wednesday, November 2, 2011

No More Bite-Sized Gospel

The gospel is not something you can explain in three minutes. You can introduce it in three minutes, but if you can explain it that quickly, your gospel is too small. I believe it is the practice of presenting the gospel as a small thing, to be consumed in bite-sized pieces, that partially explains why the church is losing so many youth as they move from high school to adulthood.

The Bible is more than John 3:16 and the twenty or thirty favorite stories we like to repeat. God has used this scripture to inspire great writers such a Dostoevsky, J. R. R. Tolkien, Annie Dillard, T. S. Eliot, and Waker Percy. It has shaped great thinkers such as Augustine, Pascal, Kierkegaard, and contemporaries such a Peter Kreeft. It has inspired great art and influenced the shape of modern science, medicine, and law.

A small gospel doesn’t seem to stand up well against worldviews that have been well thought through (they may contain error, but they have been given thought). The tragedy is God has given us so much more to chew on, has addressed all the great questions of life, and presented us with more than enough to feed and inspire us for a lifetime.

Real classes and teaching need to replace our short commercial moments for God.

I know the first objection, because I get it often. Youth have the attention span of a chipmunk. Really? Are you sure.

Several years ago I was asked to teach at a large youth retreat. I’m a college missionary, and I hadn’t felt comfortable with high school students. To make matters worse, this retreat included middle school students. I never thought I connected well with this audience, but I agreed to speak.

I brought some musicians and a drama team for a “hip” factor. I don’t do hip well.

I was given several 90 minute teaching blocks. 90 minutes? Even with music and drama, that still left me with over 45 minutes to fill. As the youth groups began to arrive, each youth leader pulled me aside. “Our group only has about a ten minute attention span,” they warned. I was polite, but inside I wanted to ask, “Then why did you give me 90 minute teaching blocks?”

I approached this retreat differently, though. I remembered my audience. I know what they talk about among friends at school. We tiptoe around topics that they talk about openly elsewhere, and it makes us sound naive and foolish. Worse, it makes God seem naive and foolish. I decided to talk to them like they were college students, to be frank and shoot just a little over their heads. I talked about things that mattered to them in straightforward, frank terms.

The result was that I had a group of middle school and high school students that were engaged and focused throughout the long teaching blocks.

Content matters. If you have a few that don’t engage, then create something else for them. But don’t keep aiming for the least interested. You will lose the majority for the rebellious few. Reward faithfulness and you will create faithfulness. Focus your best attention on the slackers and the message is clear: slackers mean more to you than the faithful. Find a way to reach both, but give your best to the faithful. That’s Jesus’ model.

If the idea of diving into these topics deeper, of reading the great theologians, or wrestling with the big questions just makes you feel tired, then you don’t really believe in the life-giving qualities of God’s truth. Devotion to God is... well, devotion, commitment, taking the place of the students before we simply cover our preconceptions with religious trappings and present it to the world as God’s truth. That may seem harsh, but if we treat God like a hobby, then we will have little to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment