Saturday, July 16, 2011

How Far for Jesus?

There are important Scriptures that are ignored because they seem to clash with our tradition ridden faith, and they are ignored at our personal peril. There is religious wisdom that is neither from God or wise that robs us of both the adventure and power of faith. One of these often overlooked passages is 1 Corinthians 9:19-23.

"Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings."
1 Corinthians 9:19-23

We are to identify with those in need, but the temptation is to distance ourselves. The Pharisees complained when Jesus got close to sinners in a party (Luke 5:27-32), when he let a prostitute touch him (Luke 7:39), when he favored tax collectors and "sinners" with his presence. They believed they were better than others and would be polluted by with them. Sadly, the same is often true today.

Paul has learned that to live in obedience we must identify with those God is reaching out to. If we distance ourselves, then we are not following Jesus example or command to us. In other words, we are rebelling against Jesus. But it doesn't stop there. We are not only to identify with them, we are to become like them.

Really!?! In what way?

Paul says, "I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some." first, that phrase, "by all possible means", is important. From the rest of Paul's writings we know this means that he avoids active sin. While I can minister in a bar without sinning, I cannot minister in a topless bar without sinning. That's just the way I'm made. So I avoid that. If I struggled with alcoholism, I would also avoid the bar. I will also avoid becoming drunk in response to God's command. Wisdom is not thrown to the wind.

What Paul is saying is that he becomes as much like the people he ministers to as possible. He adopts their customs, their food, their speech. This doesn't mean that he begins to curse around those who curse, or that he believes that he has to drink to fit in with those who drink, but neither will he flee from those who curse or drink. Too often today, Christians are uncomfortable with those who merely disagree and will avoid them. How short that falls from Paul's definition of active faith.

Paul has a reason for his actions. He has given himself to Jesus. Jesus is now his Lord. He wants to follow Jesus. And what is Jesus doing in the world? Why did the Son come to earth in the first place? He came to reach the lost. He inconvenienced himself for the sake of others, and he calls us to do the same.

A faith that revolves around personal salvation alone seems pretty selfish when compared against Jesus' call. He has called us to become fishers of men and women, and we are to alter our lives to be true to that call. Anything less and we miss out on so much of what Jesus has to offer. A life of faith is not safe or convenient. It clashes with the American dream so often. But it is dynamic, powerful, and, every time God touches someone through us, incredibly intimate. What seems like sin to some of the "religious" turns out to be the holiness of God.

How close are you to the people around you? How many preChristian friends do you have? How often do you invite them into your life, or respond to their invitations? How often are you in the party with Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment