Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Good Advice from a Chief Atheist

Last night Penn Jillette of Pen and Teller (the magicians) fame was on Piers Morgan Tonight. Pen is a very talented, compassionate, moral man who is also an outspoken atheist. He has recently written the book, God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales. This may surprise you, but I think we need to take his advice.

Morgan, a theist with a Catholic background (he didn't say much about his current beliefs), told Pen that the title of his book angered him. Pen replied that was not his goal and that respectful discussion was important to him. He took pains not to make fun of anyone in his book. Pen's desire is not to shut anyone down but to get people talking. "I am a huge fan of proselytizing," says Pen. "I am a huge fan of speaking your mind. The only way we can share the universe, to share humanity, is by talking very strongly about what we believe."

I think we would do well if we had the same attitude. While extremists seem to have no problem being vocal, I find that too many Christians take truth lightly. I want to encourage normal, caring, compassionate Christians to be at least as vocal as the insensitive and the rude.

We're fine at being vocal when we are together, in fact we're often too good at taking pot shots at others when they are not around, but we are too silent today when it comes to making Jesus known. Far too much polite Christian conversation today is about morality, America, and politics. There needs to be more talk about Jesus and what he thinks and teaches. The founding fathers are fine, but Jesus is the author of truth and compassion.

I understand most of the overriding fears we have. I share many of them. I actually do care what people think of me, and I am very sensitive of making people uncomfortable or pressured. I don't want to be callous and drive people away from the gospel, but if I never breach the topic or tell Jesus' story, then there is no chance that I will be involved in leading anyone closer to Jesus either.

I spent several years doing open air preaching on college campuses around the country. No, it's okay. You don't need to back away. I'm not frothing at the mouth.

I loved and hated open air work. At the time, hateful, name-calling, and often apostate open air preachers were a common occurrence. I didn't want to be associated with them, but I also didn't want their voice to be the only one heard on campus. The activity made me nervous. I would have lost my breakfast on those days, so I didn't eat breakfast. But I don't want fear to control my life.

I loved those times because once I started God was right there. The fear would leave because I was focused on the people who stopped to listen. I used a question and answer format, so I never really knew what was coming next. I still use that format even in my teaching. I found that if I treated people with respect and listened to them that people would treat me with respect. Heckling was easy with someone who was rude, but no one wants to be the jerk first. If we belittle people and make cheap jokes about their beliefs, then we should expect rejection. But that is not really an option for us. We are commanded to share with "gentleness and respect." And we are called to share. Disciples of Jesus are called to be "fishers of men." Jesus' last command to us was to "make disciples of all men." This was not a call to pastors or apostles. It was a call to all his followers.

I am not asking you to all start preaching on street corners. The campus is unique and made for activities like that. But Jesus asks us to talk to the people around us. I do challenge all of us to follow the advice of one good atheist and start "speaking your mind." Just make sure that when you do it, you don't sound like Howard Stern, Rush Limbaugh, or Al Franken. Try for Jesus' voice. I hope compassion drowns out the noise of the disrespectful and the mockers, but that will only happen if the compassionate speak up.

No comments:

Post a Comment