Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Critical Concerns: Answering Questions

A question and answer time need to be both safe and dynamic. No question should be off-limits or ridiculed, and questions should be answered quickly and to the point so boredom doesn't set in. If I am successful, I may learn a great deal about the people I am working with. The issues that trip people up are unique and you should not assume you know what they are until you are told directly. Students have heard many voices in their life, they often mishear information in church, and then they come up with surprising and creative (although not always helpful) ideas on their own.

Set the Atmosphere
First, I am responsible to set the ground rules and establish the atmosphere for the dialog. I let everyone know that differing opinions will be expressed and that I think that's okay. My ground rule, though, is that we work to understand each other and treat each other with respect. I don't believe that everyone's opinion on a topic of truth is equally valid. Some people are going to be in error. But if there is not an attitude of respect and an attempt to understand each other, then no one's mind will be changed during the dialog.

It is usually the Christians in the audience of both believers and seekers who are the greatest hinderance to good discussions. I do not tolerate believers who are dismissive or make fun of seekers questions. I also have to work to balance some of the easy answers believers want to offer. Easy answers are often easy because they are incomplete or wrong.

If I fail to set up a safe atmosphere that promotes questions then little that is meaningful will occur. If I end up sounding like Rush Limbaugh or Al Sharpton, then I will have alienated those that Jesus called me to reach. Choose your ministry role models carefully.

Did I Understand the Question?
I restate the question to make sure I have it right. One of the last things I want to do is answer a different question than the one asked.

Affirm the Question
It is important that I am constantly returning positive and honest feedback. People risk looking like idiots when they ask questions. I need to let them know that I respect them for their inquiry. This will embolden the timid. In addition, I never make generalizations about a person based on their question. A question does not necessarily reveal someone's personal struggles or character. In fact, I often have students ask me questions that their friends have brought up and they didn't have an answer for.

Identify Any Assumptions Behind the Question
It is interesting how often Jesus does not answer the exact question he is asked. What's that all about? If you look at his answers, you will find that Jesus understands that the questions are based on assumptions that need to be answered first. In fact, the assumptions are often more important than the actual question. So I always ask myself, "What does this person have to believe to be asking this question?"

Most of us have heard the middle school challenge, "If God can do anything, can he create a rock too large for him to lift?" The problem with this question is that the assumptions behind it are all wrong. First, God has expressed himself as a God of order. He has told us that he doesn't do the absurd. It is the fact that he doesn't do contradictions (such as create square circles) that allows us to trust him. Second, God doesn't have a body. He is Spirit. He is not like the Greek gods, some kind of superhero parody.

Questions are often based on assumptions, often false, about God's nature, his commands, Biblical morality, and the behavior Christians are called to. This shouldn't surprise us. Biblical literacy is at an all-time high for Americans. This is true of church-going Americans as well as preChristians. The theology of rumor reigns at the moment, so listen for those assumptions.

Answer the Question Quickly, Giving Room for Followup
This is where self-control comes in. I have done a great feel of study and preparation, but no one wants to see a question and answer time become a lecture. I try to answer a question in about two minutes. That is not always possible, but it is a worthy goal. I leave the question open to follow up. If my answers generate more questions that is a good thing. It is more dynamic to have questions and answers whizzing back and forth. If there is interest, then a great deal will be covered. What I want to avoid is eyes glazing over.

No comments:

Post a Comment