Monday, January 31, 2011

Theology, Worldview, and Discipleship

The relationship between theology and worldview is essential to effective discipleship. Theology is the knowledge revealed concerning God's identity, his attitude about us, an explanation of his actions, and his will for our life. Worldview is an individual's picture of how the world works.

When it comes to my day to day life, I act according to my worldview. I put my faith in what I have accepted as the way things are. I study the Scriptures because my worldview was built in ignorance. I understand a bit of what I see around me, but I have no way to know my Creator except through his revelation. In a fallen world I must work to understand that revelation. It's a task that I never complete.

Students need theology in order to reshape their worldview. Without the content of theology, there is nothing to reshape someone's picture of the world. If a theological education is not part of a student's education, then don't expect long-term changes in his or her life. Without theology, our culture's worldview-with all it's explanations, values, and expectations-will win out.

Discipleship is taking theology and understanding the difference God makes in our day to day life. This is a work of renewing our mind as well as applying the teachings of Scripture through purposeful obedience. In short, discipleship is applying what we learn in Scripture in order to change our worldview. That is important since our worldview determines the course of our lives.

Discipleship is not a solo activity. It is best done in a community of support, encouragement, and accountability. In Chi Alpha, this usually happens through small groups and one-to-one relationship.

Theology can be learned in a classroom environment, but discipleship requires something more personal. Discipleship speaks of shared lives, of a shared journey, knowing someone has your back while you have theirs. Discipleship relationships build a trust that allows confession, exhortation, and meaningful encouragement.

Theology represents truth regardless of what we believe, but our worldview is what I really believe. I confess that my worldview and my theology are not in sink. Neither is yours. Only Jesus succeeded in perfectly bringing both together. I study theology, apply Scripture to my life, pray, worship, and live in active Christian community so that my worldview might be transformed to reflect reality.

Students need to begin to experience this before they are sent away to college. They need theology. It is the raw material of a healthy worldview. They need some kind of discipleship relationship to help them apply Scripture into their daily life. If this doesn't happen, then they will have religious knowledge but retain a worldly worldview.

I believe it is the lack of theology and discipleship that is largely responsible for the majority of our youth leaving the church at their first opportunity. In the following blogs I'll expand on the discipleship theme.

1 comment:

  1. I like your definition of discipleship as using scripture to change your worldview. It sounds like at its core, true discipleship is nothing less than applied theology.

    ReplyDelete