Friday, January 7, 2011

Critical Concerns: Positive References

I often use pop culture as a reference point. I will use a TV show, a movie, song or performer as a hook. In each case, there is one rule of thumb I try not violate. I don't use a reference I can't say something good about. People expect me to be negative, but I live to thwart people's expectations. It forces them to listen.

I will now date myself.

In the eighties, I did a talk entitled Spirits in a Material World, featuring the music of The Police. Students came from across campus to defend their favorite band from the fundamentalist preacher. I began the talk by telling them how much I liked the thoughtful music of The Police. We then listened to some of their lyrics. I used them because they were very insightful about the problems of the world. Unlike most bands who point at others as the source of the world's problems, they pointed back at themselves. They knew that we were all equally guilty. We discussed this as a group.

I then turned to the answer to the world's problems. I let everyone know that this is where I parted ways with the band. I explained their gnostic approach and then shared with them what Jesus had to say. We then discussed the options before us.

I used the music of The Police because I genuinely liked it. Once I established that, no one complained that I disagreed with the band in part. They expected narrow-mindedness and negativity. Once they saw that wasn't the case, then critique was okay.

I did something similar with The X-Files. I don't agree with everything The X-Files conveyed, but it's main question week in and week out was, "How do we define truth?" and "Is scientific truth all there is?"

A good persuasive opinion begins by finding some point of agreement with the person you are trying to persuade. This is then followed by an argument for an even better way or deeper truth. You need to establish common ground. If you begin by ridiculing something you audience holds dear, you will lose them right from the start. If you don't have something good to say about your hook or primary reference material, then don't use it.

This isn't always easy. I was asked to speak on The Da Vince Code. The research in it is appalling, but it was influencing many people. I could at least give it credit for being a fast-paced book. Faint praise, but it was all I had. I used a short overview of the plot to bring some entertainment value to the introduction and at least demonstrate that I had read the book.

Which leads me to my last point. Don't use any reference materials that you are not familiar with. It should go without saying, but don't speak on a book you haven't read, a film you haven't seen, or music you haven't listened to more than once. It should go without saying, but sadly, I've seen it done often. The smoke from someone's credibility going down in flames can be suffocating. These kinds of accidents are preventable. Don't let it happen to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment