Monday, January 3, 2011

Critical Concerns: the Concept

So, how do you apply these ideas I have been sharing? I want to begin with what I find to be the most successful approach. I'll call this approach Critical Concerns. These are usually one shot presentations on a topic that last from twenty to thirty minutes followed by a question and answer time. I'll give an overview here and then flesh out some of the specifics over the next few entries.

My strategy for a Critical Concern is to come up with a hook that connects the topic to a felt need or interest (more on this next time). I then want to create a short overview on the topic that covers the basic while hinting at bigger and, hopefully, interesting ideas that can be pursued in the question and answer time.

A successful question and answer time is dependent on a good presentation. If you don't set up the questions with content, you will find yourself staring at a sea of silent faces. People need a certain amount of information to respond to. So I don't begin with the questions. If I want my audience to respond, then I need to give them something to respond to.

The presentation needs to stay within the twenty to thirty minute time range if you really want discussion to take place. You will have more material, but this is a place for heroic self-control. I keep a clock close by. If I find I'm going long, then I create a quick exit point and go to questions.

Why questions? It's easier to answer real questions than it is to try to guess what's on people's minds. You will find that your audience's interest will be heightened if they believe their questions will be answered. Youth have questions. Lots of them. Some of the questions may seem silly to you. The first question I was ever asked during open-air preaching on a college campus was, "Isn't Jesus just a space alien from another planet?" I wanted to laugh, but this was a serious question for the person asking the question, and he deserved a serious answer. Students need some place where they can ask their questions (I will get to the art of answering questions very soon).

The first couple of times you do this there will be some awkward silence. I plan for this by seeding the audience with a few questions. We are herd animals. If students see some others asking questions and hear respectful responses, then more will follow suit. Still it will take a couple tries to catch on.

In the following posts, I will add details to this idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment